Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Jailer Inn Bed and Breakfast

http://www.bbonline.com/ky/jailersinn/pix1.jpg
This is possibly the most interesting place I have ever stayed, and the most active by far! To start things off I was alone with both my kids when I decided to stay here, hubby had to stay on the farm and work. So needless to say I was a little worried. At first I book what is called the Victorian room...


Then when I got there I decided to swiych rooms into the Colonial room because people were above me and I didn't want the kids to be loud and bother them. So we moved to this room...

The Colonial room is a very active room. More so than the first room I was going to stay at so I was excited. Let me tell you a little about the history of this place...

Iron bars on windows, 30 inch thick stone walls, and a heavy steel door slamming behind you may not sound like the typical tourist accommodation and Jailer’s Inn is anything but typical. The historic Jailer’s Inn, circa 1819, offers a unique and luxurious way to "do time."

Jailer’s Inn is a place of wonderful, thought provoking contrasts. Each of our six guest rooms are beautifully decorated with antiques and heirlooms, all located in the renovated front jail. The back jail, built in 1874, is basically unchanged; you get a chilling and sobering look at what conditions were like in the old Nelson County jail that was in full operation as recently as 1987.

On spring and summer mornings, as you sip hot coffee and chat with other guests over a full breakfast in the courtyard, it’s difficult to imagine all of the previous uses of the courtyard—as a work yard for prisoners crushing limestone, a place to visit forlorn relatives, or even the centralized location of the Nelson County gallows.

The Old Nelson County Jail property, housed prisoners from 1797 till 1987. The front building, sometimes referred to as the "Old Jail" was constructed in 1819. Records indicated that John Rogers architect of St. Joseph Cathedral, performed certain carpentry on this structure. The upper floor of this native limestone building, with 30 inch thick walls, contained two cells and an "upstairs dungeon" to house prisoners.

The back stone building, sometimes referred to as the "New Jail," was built in 1874 and is completely surrounded by a stone wall. The front jail was then; made into the jailer’s residence. Both the jail and jailer’s residence were used and occupied until 1987. It was the oldest operating jail complex in the state of Kentucky and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.

Anyways... I put my youngest son to sleep, and decided to walk around with my oldest son Alden, who at the time was 16 months old. The reason I had decided to go then is because I had heard whisteling coming from the prison cells, and no one was back there. I had called out a few times and no one answered. We walked back there and all the lights were off in the cells. So I decided to go into the cells to see if I could connect with any spirits. However I did not want to go into a full meditative state because my son was with me. So I went into each cell and asked questions. Then I entered the Detox cell. I asked if anyone was in here with me. Then my son points in the corner, and starts crying and acting like someone was trying to take him from me. When a person comes up and tries to hold him when I am already holding him, he leans in closer to me and starts whinin, and thats exactly what he was doing. So I decided it was best to leave. It was late so I then sat my son in his crib and stood outside the door so I could hear him, but I wanted to call my husband and update him on everything.

After both the boys fell asleep I decided to purchase the first room I was supposed to stay in just for me so I could sleep there becaue one of the boys was in the other bed and t he other was in a crib and I didn't want to wake them up. The rooms connected, so I purchased that room also and just opened the connecting doors to either room. I went in to check on the boys, and I turned the lamp on in the room so they could have some light. Then I went into my room and fell asleep, with the connecting doors still open of course. Around 3:00am my youngest son started crying. So I went in, only to find that the lamp had been turned off, the fan turned on, and the smoke detector open! With my other son asleep I decided to bring the youngest to sleep with me, and I let Alden continue sleeping in the bed of the other room. He sleeps like a rock! I will scan some pictures later and post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment